© Copyright 2011  Julianne Dodds Rescue yacht White Swan World War II Epilogue After March 1942 Lieutenant Commander Upton was taken to Tanjong Priok as a prisoner. Here he created the renowned Chapel windows during his internment. Upon his release, he became Chief Architect of Cable and Wireless Limited in London. Upton's original windows were recovered after the war and are now on display in All Saints Anglican Church in Jakarta, Indonesia. [12] Pilot Officer M. H. Brown (R.A.F.V.R.) returned to Australia and disembarked at Fremantle on 8th March 1942 on HMAS Bendigo. [13] Brown resigned his commission in the Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve on 19th April 1942.  [14]  The following year, Merton Brown made his report to the Malayan Research Bureau in Sydney [15] and returned to Malaysia. Brown then formed the Merton Brown Shipyard that did rather well until 1950. Following a fire, the business suffered financially. Brown began to lose his grip on reality. In February 1952 Brown borrowed a gun from his business partner saying he was going to Johore and there might be a few bandits around. But instead, he visited his shipyard. Two days later, on 16 February, he committed suicide with a shot to his head. [16]  Although White Swan has never been located, her capture on 2nd March was recorded in Lloyd's War Losses. [17]  Author Noel Barber in his non-fiction book, "Fires of Spring", written in 1952, makes an interesting statement that has not been, to this date, proven or disproven. "It is sad to think that this perfect yacht, so beautifully appointed in every detail, vanished during the war, after being seized by a Japanese admiral." There were also rumours that White Swan returned to Australia, but sadly, despite intensive enquiries and research, this does not appear to be so. She most likely lies silently on the bottom of silt-covered Bantam Bay, maple and blue gum timber eaten away by worms, brass and copper fittings encrusted with coral, amidst the broken remains of her concrete and lead keel.