© Copyright 2011  Julianne Dodds
Home Contact Timber Echoes From the Past
Timber, Veneer and Plywood 1901 - 1969
Wooloongabba mills
Mac’s intention was to move back to Melbourne to his wife and son, but an opportunity came up that he could not resist in the form of a property in Woolloongabba, a southern suburb of Brisbane. The land was located on the corner block between Annie and Charles Streets, and fronted onto John Street, a continuation of Deshon Street. In later years Deshon Street was extended as far as Kingfisher Creek. The total area of the five blocks was about half an acre. By mid-June in 1917 Mac had employed several labourers and erected sheds and drying areas for the veneer.  There were actually two mills. Three Ply Wood Mills was located in Annie Street and manufactured 6 feet by 3 feet sheets of plywood ‘glued together with a special glue’. The other business, Moulding Mills, was on the opposite side of the block in Charles Street where Mac produced plain and embossed picture frame mouldings.  He also made three ply chair seats, embossed and perforated. Wood wool was made from timber offcuts – thin, curly strands mainly used for packaging and a variety of other purposes including stuffing for toy animals.
Shaded areas show Three Ply Wood Mills in Annie Street and Moulding Mills in Charles Street in 1917.
Right: Deshon Wood Veneer & 3-Ply Wood Mills c. 1920. Annie Street runs off on the right side. Williams Collection.
Right: The drying racks on the corner of Annie and John Streets. Williams Collection.
Moulding a new career First rotary lathe in Brisbane Woolloongabba Mills Glue and logs from the country Expansion after The Great War Mac's men at the mills Largest plywood mill in Australia Timber resources The Great Depression Queensland Veneer Company World War II Retirement References